Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Best Job in the World

Since learning about the job on Hamilton Island, I have become somewhat obsessed with the idea of this job. For the entirety of my last two surveys, I can hardly pay attention to the forty-seven pairs of mallards I'm supposed to be recording, or the mating behavior of the buffleheads that I should be observing...because all I can think about is how to convey to the Queensland Tourism Bureau that I am perfect for this job...in only 60 seconds. That's the kicker. 60 seconds is a very short period of time to list all one's qualifications for a job that involves being adventurous, outdoorsy, outgoing, fun, good on camera, entertaining writer, etc, etc, etc. The list just goes on. Do you play it straight and give them a verbal resume? Do you perform some kind of stunt (NOT involving lame, fake tattoos) to get their attention? Is it a + or a - that I'm an American? Is it good or bad that I lived in Oz for 6 months in college? Do I talk about working on a dive boat out of Cairns, or do I talk about being a biology nerd in the Bay Area? Do I mention that I went to an Ivy League school, or do I talk about how many beers I can crush in a night? Do I talk about sailing in the BVIs last year, or do I shamelessly promote my brand new blog? Ahhhh! SEE?!?! It's overwhelming.

Enough with the question marks...I'm going to make some hot chocolate and watch some L&O: SVU. Nothing like some daytime TV to calm a girl down.

No comments:

Post a Comment